Light up your Christmas..but be safe!
Light up your Christmas!
But be safe ..
The local high streets are looking festive now with pretty Christmas lights. And the streets will follow soon, brightening up the dark cold nights of December!
Getting your Christmas lights out of the loft / garage this week-end? Excited!? Or dreading the inevitable discovery that they are all tangled up together, again! We hope you will enjoy lighting up your house, inside and out. So here’s some do’s and don’ts from us, to help you stay safe ..
• check your lights are not damaged or broken
• look for any loose wires
• replace failed light bulbs immediately to prevent overheating
• use only replacement bulbs of the same type and rating as those originally supplied with the lights
• read and follow the manufacturers’ instructions
• ensure all outdoor lights are connected via a 30mA RCD protected socket
• ensure plugs and transformers are plugged in indoors, even if the lighting is suitable for outdoor use, or use an IP65 rated enclosure
• keep lights away from flammable decorations and materials that can burn easily
• switch your lights off and unplug them before you go to bed or go out
• use damaged or faulty lights
• try to repair faulty lights – it is safer to replace them
• remove or insert lamps while the lights are plugged in
• connect lights to the supply and turn on whilst still in the packaging
• let children plug lights in and turn them on without supervision
• use lights outdoors unless they are specially designed for outdoor use
• connect different lighting sets together
• overload sockets – try to avoid the use of extension leads or adaptors
• leave windows slightly open with leads running underneath (it lets cold in and isn’t secure!)
• shut doors / windows on a lead which may damage it
Would fitting an outside socket be useful for you this year? We can help you. Call our friendly team now on 01789 450314
Be brighter with Alderminster this Christmas